Explore our beautiful backyard with inspiring instructors!
Keep checking for events in your area!
Memorial Tree Grows in Fort Assiniboine Park
Built by Front Step Forge, this new memorial tree will soon stand tall at the Fort Assiniboine Park. Come spring the tree will burst into bloom with its first leaves, meant to honour or memorialize residents that are important to the community.
Any person or group wishing to honour or memorialize a resident may do so by completing an application form. Residents may be recognized in the following categories:
-Pioneers of the community;
-Long term service on a fire department or other emergency services;
-Long term service with a community group;
-A significant contribution to the community.
Upon application approval, a $100 fee per leaf will be payable by the applicant prior to installation on the Fort Assiniboine Memorial Monument Tree.
Recreation, Arts & Culture Grants
The Recreation Grant encourages the development and delivery of programs that get participants physically active and participating within sports & recreation activities within Woodlands County. The Arts & Culture Grant encourages the development and delivery of arts and culture programs that are orientated to children and youth within Woodlands County.
Our Policy has been updated and the process has enhanced. We have created an applicants guide to help organizations write the applications. Please read over the Policy below and all supporting documents before you submit your application. Any questions can be directed to the Parks and Recreation staff.
- Priority will be given to recreation programs that are orientated to children and youth.
- Preference is given to groups and organizations that are non-profit and can also demonstrate other fundraising efforts and funding sources.
- Demonstration of appropriate contribution by participants for recreation programs must be shown (e.g. membership fees, registration, etc.).
- Funding requests for event hosting will be considered but funding requests for personal expenses will not be considered (e.g. travel, lodging, food, etc.)
Policy 7006 – Recreation and Arts & Culture Grants
Recreation and Arts & Culture Grants Assessment Tool
Community Organization Capital and Operating Grants
Policy 7002: Woodlands County understands the importance of supporting recreation and cultural opportunities for all individuals. Grant funding is available to identified community organizations in support of the valuable social and recreational contributions that they make to Woodlands County residents.
- Organizations and/or their facilities must be located within the boundaries of Woodlands County and not owned/operated by another municipality.
- The organization must be an incorporated society, or registered charitable organization in good standing with Service Alberta and file annual financial statements, with copies provided to the County.
- Funds received must be for recreation, cultural or community facilities that are open for the use and enjoyment of all Woodlands County residents.
- The community organizations noted for these grants include: Anselmo Recreation and Agricultural Society, Blue Ridge Community League, Fort Assiniboine Agricultural Society, Fort Assiniboine Curling Club, Fort Assiniboine Friendship Club, Goose Lake Recreation Association, Timeu Community Society, Topland Recreation Society, Whitecourt and District Agricultural Society, and any others as approved by Council.
Click HERE for a copy of the procedure (7002-01) to administer this policy.
Click HERE for a copy of the application.
Community Angels Recreation Enrichment (CARE) Program
The Woodlands County Community Angels Recreation Enrichment (C.A.R.E) Program offers assistance to families that may be financially unable to enroll their child in recreational programs. C.A.R.E offers assistance by covering part or all of the costs of registration fees and equipment.
Activities such as band, sports, dance, skating, swimming, etc. may qualify under the program.
For sports clubs, school counsellors, coaches or instructors who know of a family that could use assistance, please contact Woodlands County at (780) 778-8400. All referrals will be kept in the strictest confidence.
C.A.R.E is funded by donations from corporations, clubs, organizations, businesses and individuals, as well as through fundraising initiatives.
Welcome to Woodlands Program
The Welcome to Woodlands Program is a wonderful way to welcome new residents to the area by providing a welcome basket.
Woodlands County encourages residents to call the Municipal Office in Whitecourt to advise of new residents or businesses in order that they may receive a basket.
To obtain further information or to arrange for a basket please contact the Community Services Department:
Community Services Department
Phone: (780) 778-8400
Fax: (780) 778-8402
Volunteer Recognition Awards (Business, Civic, Public Service and Golden Heart)
These awards will recognize deserving individuals throughout the County who have volunteered above and beyond the call of duty, either for their community or the County as a whole.
Senior Citizens and Disabled Persons Benefits
In order to enhance the quality of life of senior citizens and disabled persons residing in the municipality, Woodlands County has created a policy that includes the following benefits:
- The County will reimburse health care related transportation expenses at the rate of $0.50 per kilometer to a maximum of $300.00 per year
- An additional $0.50 per kilometer to a maximum of $300 per year is available to seniors/physically handicapped people attending the Healthy Living Program in Whitecourt
- The County will provide up to five free snow flags per year
To be eligible for these benefits, applicants must be a senior citizen or a physically or developmentally disabled person who reside(s) in Woodlands County. A senior citizen is someone 65 years or older. A physically handicapped person is a person who can either produce their vehicle mirror hanger or obtain a letter from their physician stating they are physically handicapped.
The County will pay transportation grants twice per year, on June 30 and December 31
For further grant information, contact the Woodlands County Community Services department at (780) 778-8400.