How can we help?

Development FAQs2019-04-18T20:28:22+00:00

1. Do I need a development permit?

A development permit is required by Woodlands County for any new development or change in use of land within the County in accordance with the land-use bylaw. You will need to apply for a development permit for the following:

  • Constructing or moving a residence, mobile home or modular, additions and decks
  • Constructing or moving an outbuilding such as a garage, shop or shed
  • Starting a home occupation, or transport or contractor business

Having a development permit ensures that the proposed structure or use of the land does not conflict with surrounding uses. It will also ensure that the development is setback the appropriate distance from property lines. Setbacks are required to ensure that the development is located in a safe place so that it is not positioned too close to road right-of-ways, water courses, steep banks or oil and gas facilities.

2. How much does a development permit cost and where can I obtain one?

See New Fee Schedule Click Here. Development permit applications are available at Woodlands County offices in Whitecourt and Fort Assiniboine, or you can Download a development application package.

3. Are there additional development fees besides the application fee?

A development approval may require the applicant / owner to pay additional development fees that pertain to offsite levies, municipal agreements and / or service connection fees related to subdivisions that have municipal servicing (water / sewer).

Contact the development department for further information on the fees.

4. How long is the development approval process?

A development permit will become valid a minimum of three weeks after it has been submitted. It is encouraged that you apply early to avoid any delays in your project.

5. What other permits are required by the Provincial Government Safety Codes Act?

  • Building Permit
  • Plumbing Permit
  • Gas Permit
  • Electrical Permit
  • Septic Permit

6. What rights of appeal do neighbors and applicants have?

There is a 14-day appeal period in which neighbors or an applicant can appeal a decision to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.

7. How are citizens notified of development applications in their area?

Advertisements of approved or refused applications are placed in local newspapers. Discretionary-use permits are advertised prior to going to a Municipal Planning Commission meeting and are then advertised again as approved or refused.