Our Economic Development Committee works alongside existing businesses and potential investors providing assistance. No one knows our local economy like we do.
As a local expert, the Economic Development Officer works alongside existing businesses and potential investors needing aid in business planning and the site selection process.
Operating closely with other County Departments, such as, Community & Planning Services, Agricultural Services and Infrastructure Services, the Economic Development Officer's duty is to provide business owners with the right information as quickly as possible. The County aims to minimize red tape while keeping a focus on sustainable economic development that benefits our entire municipality.
Woodlands County Council recognizes the importance of Strategic Economic Development and it was included as one of the five strategic priorities in the 2019 – 2022 Woodlands County Strategic Plan.
Council established the Woodlands County Economic Development Committee to advise them regarding the economic development activities of the County. In January of 2021, the Committee conducted a strategic planning exercise moderated by Community Futures Yellowhead East. This collaborative process established a report, which provides strategic guidance for our economic development activities.
- 2021 Strategic Planning Session Final Report
- Woodlands County Economic Development Terms of Reference
2021 Major Initiatives
- Collaborating with partners to facilitate local Pandemic Economic Recovery.
- Assisting with Local Tourism Re-launch and ongoing Destination Development.
- Participating in Educational discussions with Energy Future Labs and Local Stakeholders.
- Investigating sector opportunities in Energy, Agri-Food, Forestry, and Tourism.
- Leading discussion regarding the expansion of our Trade and Logistics capacity.
- Exploring Regional Opportunities as a member of the GROWTH REDA and WILD Alberta.
- Funding partner of all four of the North West Alberta Business Support Networks.
- Engaging with business as a member of the Whitecourt and District Chamber of Commerce.
Please contact the Economic Development Officer for more information.