Main content of the website

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A

Flood Resources


In June 2023, the Athabasca and McLeod Rivers flooded parts of Woodlands County, along with Edson and Yellowhead County. 

Woodlands County has submitted its application to the Government of Alberta for its Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) which has been approved.

Funding is available for affected residents and businesses who suffered uninsurable loss or damages to their home or business caused by overland flooding during the events from June 16 - 23, 2023.

DRP applications can be found here: 

Application deadline is February 26, 2024. 

There are two ways to apply for funding:

Apply online

  1. Log-in to your Account. If you do not have an account, you can create one by clicking on the Create Account button on the page.
  1. Apply using the Disaster Financial Assistance Portal.

Apply by mail or email

  1. Download the form that applies to you at
  1. Submit the form by
  • Email: 
  • Mail: Alberta Emergency Management Agency
    5th Floor, Terrace Building
    9515 107 Street NW
    Edmonton, Alberta    T5K 2C1

View "Disaster Financial Support" tab below for more information. 

A list of support services and other resources are listed below.

Questions? Contact Woodlands County,
Monday to Friday, 8:15am to 4:30pm (closed noon to 1pm):


Garbage Bins - Located throughout Impacted Areas

Refuse containers have been placed in the following areas to support property owners with post-flood clean up.
Containers will be available through Sunday, July 16 (picked up on Monday, July 17)

  • Flats Rd
  • Old Ferry East 
  • Cutbanks Rd West 
  • Cutbanks Rd East 5
  • Twp Rd 595 (west of Town boundary near West Mtn Rd)
  • Fort Assiniboine

Landfill - Fees Waived

*Extended* Woodlands County has extended FREE use of the Whitecourt Regional Landfill to flood-affected property owners, through Monday, September 5, 2023.

Until July 17, 2023, property owners impacted by the flooding incident are able to access the Whitecourt Regional Landfill, without cost .

For hours of operation and location visit:

Development Permits - Fees Waived

Development Permit fees for residential landowner parcels that experienced loss or damage to structures which need replacement have been waived until November 31, 2023.

Types of structure that might be impact include (but are not limited to):

  • Accessory structures such as decks, sheds, shops/garages, cabins; 
  • Agricultural Buildings - pole sheds, horse shelters, greenhouses; and 
  • Dwellings such as single family dwelling unit, manufactured/modular home or mobile homes.

To learn more about Development Permits, visit:



Flood Considerations Guide

What to do before, during, and after a flood.

The Government of Alberta provides financial assistance to homeowners, tenants and small businesses that experience uninsurable loss or damage caused by a disaster or emergency.

Once a municipality has been approved for the Disaster Recovery Program (DRP), residents can apply to the Alberta Emergency Management Agency within 90 days of the approval.

The Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) is the last recourse for assistance after a disaster. Homeowners must consult with their insurance provider and any other available assistance first. If insurance is considered readily and reasonably available at the time of a disaster event, costs associated with insurable loss and damage are not eligible for DRP assistance.

The DRP does not cover all types of damage or loss and does not cover the full cost of replacement.

Information & Resources

Disaster Financial Assistance and Recovery Support

Disaster Recovery Program - Insurance and Disasters

Disaster Recovery Program Changes Video

2021 Disaster Recovery Program Changes

2021 Private Sector Guidelines

Fact Sheets

Residents and Residential Tenants Fact Sheet and Checklist

Small Businesses and Landlords Fact Sheet and Checklist

Not For Profit Businesses Fact Sheet and Checklist

 Agriculture Operations Fact Sheet and Checklist

Red Cross Alberta

Emergency and Disaster Services

Disaster Relief & Recovery

Call: 1-888-800-6493 

Income Support Contact Centre (ISCC)

Alberta Supports - Emergency Financial Assistance

Albertans can call ISCC, toll-free at 1-866-644-5135 to access this support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Emergency Financial Assistance from SCSS (different from evacuation payment)

Alberta Supports Contact Centre
7:30 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays.



Agriculture Financial Services Corp

The Agriculture Financial Services Corp provides crop insurance for planted crops, pastures, and forage land. Contact the Agriculture Financial Services Corp for crop insurance options.

Disaster Recovery Program

Agriculture Operations

Connect with the Alberta Emergency Management Agency:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 1-888-671-1111

Silt & debris may have washed up on your property from the flooding. 

Note: putting objects, silt, and other debris washed ashore back into a river requires authorization/approval from the Ministry of Environment and Protected Areas. 

For more information about the approval process, please visit


Under Section 1 - Interpretation of the Water Act, “activity” means,

(i)            Placing, constructing, operating, maintaining, removing or disturbing works, maintaining, removing or disturbing ground, vegetation or other material, or carrying out any undertaking, including but not limited to groundwater exploration, in or on any land, water, or water body, that

A. Alters, may alter or may become capable of altering the flow or level of water, whether temporarily or permanently, included by not limited to water in a water body, by any means, including drainage, 

B. Changes, may change or may become capable of changing the location of water or the direction of flow of water, including water in a water body, by drainage or otherwise,

C. Causes, may cause or may become capable of causing the siltation of water or the erosion of any bed or shore of a water body, or

D. Causes, may cause or may become capable of causing an effect on the aquatic environment;